The Heart of Teaching: Beyond Content - TTC 113
NOT OFFERED IN 2018
Students learn so much more in our classrooms than content and skills. Beyond the content, what do we want class learners to take away from their time with us? A sense of wonder? A positive attitude toward learning? Some actual 'learning skills? There is compelling evidence that, in the long term, the way teachers interact with students may even be more influential than the actual content they acquire.
This course explores who we are as teachers, the climate we create in the classroom, and the dispositions and bigger learnings we hope our students will take away from our schools.
Participants in this course will:
- Explore 15 affective teacher behaviors that shape classroom climate and promote learner acquisition of positive dispositions
- Examine 16 habits of mind which can be taught and assessed and greatly influence content/skill acquisition
- Practice ways to 'seize the moment', when a learning opportunity in an international classroom ( racism, etc.) arises
- Practice with a range of strategies to help learners become more reflective, independent learners
- Explore how those big goals of our school's mission are 'taught' and assessed in classrooms daily
In order to access course materials, participants are required to bring a laptop computer with wireless internet capability and appropriate adapters to this course.