SUMMER INSTITUTES 2018
Required Preparation for
Empowering Students through Assessment
Miami: 21-25 June 2018
SAMPLES FROM YOUR SCHOOL
Please bring ONE COPY or online access to the statements of intended learning (standards, benchmarks, outcomes, goals… whatever they are called at your school) for a single UNIT of learning (unit of study, unit of inquiry, scheme of work).
- You will be building a set of assessments aligned to these intended learnings and so without these your 5 days will not be meaningful. Please ask for help from colleagues or from course trainers BEFORE the class if you have difficulty meeting this requirement.
Note: requested items may be brought in either hard copy or digital form
Assessment audit: Please conduct an audit, over a week of your teaching, of your assessment practices. Structure this in any way that makes sense to you, but use it to record and reflect upon your assessment practices. You may wish to structure your audit as follows (a template is provided at the bottom of this page for reference):
- The types of tasks/tools you use for assessment in your classes (don’t just consider your assessment tasks – also consider assessment strategies you use on a daily basis such as questioning, observation, etc)
- The ways in which you use these tools/tasks (summative/formative)
- Your feedback practices (how do you give feedback, how do students respond to feedback, (how) do you engage your students in peer feedback)
- Your use of student self-assessment
- Your grading practices (do you give grades and, if you do, where do they come from, what do they mean - and how are they used?)
- The decisions you make about curriculum and instruction in response to assessment data
- Anything else important to you and your assessment practices
Please complete the ‘What I Believe about Assessment' Google survey by 16 June.
A short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED)
- Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
In advance of your arrival please read and reflect upon the below article. As you read the article consider the extent to which your own assessment practices (as illuminated through your audit) align to the ideas expounded by these authors.
Gross-Loh, Christine. "How Praise Became a Consolation Prize." The Atlantic. December 16, 2016.
...your required online portal for everything related to your TTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use this access code to join your course group in Schoology.
Access Code: included in PDF above
I look forward to seeing you this summer!