SUMMER INSTITUTES 2018
Required Preparation for
Instructional Supervision and Evaluation
Rome 4-10 July 2018
Miami 18-24 June 2018
Miami 12-18 July 2018
Please bring and be familiar with either an electronic or hard copy of:
- The ENTIRE evaluation or appraisal instrument at your school if you have one. The entire instrument includes any written explanation of the evaluation process, timelines, criteria used, plus all forms used in the process by either the teacher or the evaluator. These documents will be used as part of a learning activity and, thus, will be shared with other participants in your course.
- Any standards or criteria for teachers used at your school.
- One sample summative assessment from any section of your school.
Please read the articles (included on the PDF here) which will be used during the course, and make any relevant notes and questions:
“Keeping Improvement in Mind”, Paul Mielke and Tony Fronier, Educational Leadership, ASCD, November 2012
“The Two Purposes of Teacher Evaluation”, Robert Marzano, EdLeadership, 2012
How to Make Supervision and Evaluation Really Work”, Jon Saphier, Defining the Problem, Ch.2, 1993
AN ISSUE OR PROBLEM
In preparation for the small group sessions in the afternoon please bring a written (one page) case study or example, dealing with a problem or situation you have confronted during your professional practice. Given the content of the Instructional Supervision course, you might want to choose an example that has to do with a difficult teacher or an experience with teacher evaluation.
…a short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED)
- Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
...your required online portal for everything related to your PTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use the access code from the PDF to join your course group in Schoology.
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Miami: Ron Lalonde & Nancy Scquicciarini and Sarah Putnam & Kelly Armitage
Rome: Ron Lalonde & Jeff Matthews