SUMMER INSTITUTES 2017
Required Preparation for
Understanding and Teaching Boys
Course check in: 8-8:30am on 6 July
Course begins: 8:30am on 6 July
Course concludes: 4pm on final day, 8 July
Schedule your travel appropriately
Miami: 6-8 July 2017
Welcome to this unique summit on Understanding and Teaching Boys. You are joining close to 25 participants from around the world including both teachers and principals, all from international schools for this exploration!
Before arriving for the course, watch the following films and prepare some notes using the guide questions for each.
This Boy's Life (1993)
- Why is Jack's gun so important to him?
- Why does Jack write profanity on the school bathroom wall?
- What did you think of the conversation between Jack and his mother about his disciplinary troubles at school?
- What did Mason Jr. want most from his parents?
- What were the most important things he got from his mother?
- What were the most important things he got from his father?
- What is parenting for a boy and how does it differ from mothering and fathering a boy?
Etre et Avoir (2002) A documentary about a one-room schoolhouse in rural France.
- Do you think the way the teacher handles Jo Jo is effective?
- How would you have done it differently?
All are available to rent online on various site (e.g. Amazon.com). If you have any problems finding them, email us at email@example.com.
AN ISSUE OR PROBLEM
In preparation for some of the course activities, bring a written (one-page max) ‘case study’ involving an issue or concern involving teaching boys that you would like to discuss.
WATCH…a short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED)
- Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
...your required online portal for everything related to your PTC course, including all necessary course materials, which will be available about 10 days prior to the start date of your course.
Use this access code to join your course group in Schoology.
Access Code Boys Summit: 37QHN-6VBJ4
I look forward to seeing you this summer