SUMMER INSTITUTES 2016
Required Preparation for
Leading Beyond Conflict
Miami: 15 - 18 June 2016
- Identify one conflict scenario you have experienced or are currently experiencing at your school.
- > Write a one-page description and be prepared to share the written piece and to discuss it.
- > It can be current or in the past. It may describe a situation you have personally experienced
- or that has occurred elsewhere.
- > Provide the background and make clear the significant factors, issues and personnel involved.
- Upload the written scenario to TC Connection. Once in our class group, click on the ‘Resources’ folder on the left sidebar, then the folder called ‘Scenarios’. Please upload no later than 25 May.
There is an extensive body of research and ‘theory’ on the theme of ‘conflict’ - how to define it, how to ‘manage’ it, whether to embrace it or avoid it, varying individual perspectives.
Our course is focused on ‘conflict’ in the professional setting of the school, particularly through the lens of principals and other school leaders. As we have developed this course, it has become clear that each of us comes to the notion of conflict with a huge amount baggage!
The article 'Settlement, Resolution, Management, and Transformation: An Explanation of Terms', included in the downloadable PDF helps to focus the working definition we will be using during the course. It is also available online.
Please read it before your arrival.
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
Bring a laptop (REQUIRED):
- Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Participants are required to bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability to this course. Click here for more about iPads and tablets.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
Get familiar with TC Connection
...your online portal for everything related to your course. You should have received an email with signup instructions and enrollment information for your course. Use that email as a guide to login and set up your account. If you have not already registered, you can do so here. Your access code for the course is immediately below. If you need help with this process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Nicki Gundry and Bambi Betts