SUMMER INSTITUTES 2017
Required Preparation for
Leadership Tools for International Teacher Leaders
London: 22-26 June 2017
Norms your department/grade level team has established for working together.
An agenda and set of minutes from a recent team or department meeting. (The agenda and minutes should be for the same meeting).
A description of a change initiative that you think is needed at your current school or in your current team, to improve student learning. Describe what the change would include, why you think it is needed, and obstacles you think would affect the success of the initiative. You will be sharing this information with course participants. Be sure to remove names of both the school and faculty involved.
In advance of your arrival, please read: Chapter Four: Adaptive Leadership in How to Thrive as a Teacher Leader by John G. Gabriel, ASCD, 2005. (In PDF above)
You will find that the chapter in this book is written from US public school perspective. As you read, make the adjustments to your international school setting. We will do the same throughout the course.
- What is one lesson you took away from the chapter?
- How could its implementation improve your role as teacher leader? Be prepared to discuss.
During the course, each participant will be reflecting on many aspects of teacher leadership. In preparation, prior to your arrival:
If you are already a department head or grade level leader:
- Describe a recent success you’ve had with your dept. or grade level and reflect on why you were successful.
- Describe a leadership challenge that continues to frustrate you.
If you are not currently a department head or grade level leader:
- Talk with someone in your school and observe and discuss these two points listed above with him/her and record his/her reflections on these two situations.
When you attend department, grade level or staff meetings:
- For four different team, department, committee or staff meetings, log the time spent on what you would consider program management issues (e.g. scheduling, transportation) and issues related directly to student learning (e.g. sharing best practice, curriculum, instruction and assessment). List the agenda items for each category.
Complete the Google survey at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/PhOdZGn82x8xCoWs2
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED)
Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
...your required online portal for everything related to your TTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use this access code to join your course group in Schoology.
Access Code: included in PDF above
I look forward to seeing you this summer!