SUMMER INSTITUTES 2017
Required Preparation for
Supervision Tools for Teacher Leaders
Miami: 10-14 July 2017
Please bring a hard copy or have access to:
- Standards or criteria used for evaluating teachers at your school.
- The ENTIRE evaluation or appraisal instrument at your school if you have one. The entire instrument includes any written explanation of the evaluation process, timelines, criteria used, plus all forms used in the process by either the teacher or the evaluator. These documents will be used as part of a learning activity and, thus, will be shared with other participants in your course.
- Any specific tools used for recording observations of teachers.
- Any job description or guidelines description the role of the department head or grade level leader.
- Access to or one hard copy of a current unit plan.
- A WRITTEN lesson you would use in your classroom. (We will use this for an important activity!)
Please read the following three articles (linked in the above PDF):
- It’s All About Learning, from Teacher Self-Supervision, William and Ochan Powell, 2015
- Seven Strong Claims About Successful Leadership, Leithwood, Day, Sammons, Harris, & Hopkins this is a website only article), 2006
- It’s Time to Rethink Teacher Supervision and Evaluation, Kim Marshall, PDK, June 2005
As you read the Marshall article, jot down some bullet points about how the role of teacher leader as supervisor might solve some of the supervision and evaluation problems Kim Marshall identifies.
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
…for a short demonstration lesson. As part of the learning experience, it is important that participants have the opportunity to observe a lesson and provide supervision feedback. Volunteers to present a 15-minute lesson on a topic of their choice and to contact Nancy at: email@example.com by 1 June.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED)
Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
...your required online portal for everything related to your TTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use this access code to join your course group in Schoology.
Access Code: HRGK2-GP8KP
We look forward to seeing you this summer!