SUMMER INSTITUTES 2017
Required Preparation for
Special Needs Learning in the International School
London: 4-8 July 2017
Case Study for a Particular Student
- In preparation for the final task and for discussions during small group sessions, bring information about a student with special needs whom you have had in class, will have in class next year, or who has come to your attention. Any data or formal assessment results would also be helpful.
Supporting Materials for the Final Task
- Any curricular materials or scanned pages of materials for creating a plan for an individual or group of special need students
- Description of students with special needs or of general class composition with special needs identified. Students grouped according to similar academic or behavior concerns and/or strengths as well as primary languages with levels of proficiency.
We will email you a digital copy of the following book with instructions on how to download: Causes and Cures in the Classroom: Getting to the Root of Academic and Behavior Problems by Margaret Searle (2013). This book will be used throughout the course so please download and read prior to the course. The book will be emailed to you around May 01. Watch out for the email!
AN ISSUE OR PROBLEM
In preparation for the small group reflection sessions in the afternoon, please bring a short written description (no more than one page) in which you describe:
- A student who you feel you have not succeeded in motivating OR
- Ahigh achieving or potentially gifted student who you feel needs more challenge than you have been able to provide them OR
- A unit of work you feel is currently not as meaningful to students as it could be.
Briefly describe the situation, how you feel about it, what you have tried, what has worked and what hasn’t. Also include any specific questions.
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED):
Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
...your required online portal for everything related to your TTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use this access code to join your course group in Schoology.
Access Code: MVBWT-Z3253
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Kristen Pelletier and Jennifer Swinehart