SUMMER INSTITUTES 2018
Required Preparation for
Social and Emotional Teaching and Learning
Rome: 9-13 July 2018
Download the FULL version of the assignment including readings
Bring an electronic or paper copy of:
- a written lesson you like to teach and the unit that it is part of
- a blank report card from your school for each division
- your school Mission, vision, philosophy or other foundational documents
- Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) standards, including dispositions, values, beliefs or SEL skills that your school has identified
- K-12 Service Learning or Community Service action plan, if available
Putting it All Together [linked in PDF above] The Aspen Institute: National Commission on social, emotional and academic development.
- Focus Question: Identify and highlight in yellow the five key learnings from the reading in relation to your current school or context. Print the highlighted article and be prepared to discuss.
Don’t! - The Secret of Self Control [linked in PDF above] by Jonah Lehrer, The New Yorker 2018
- Focus Question: What are some ways you have helped students focus their attention or exercise self-control for optimal learning?
- Focus Question: What resonates for you from this video and how could it impact your teaching?
…a short video to prepare for your course.
AN ISSUE OR PROBLEM
In preparation for small group reflection sessions, please bring a short written description (no more than one page) in which you describe an issue or concern working with an individual or a team of adult learners.
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED):
Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
...your required online portal for everything related to your TTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use this access code to join your course group in Schoology.
Access Code: included in PDF above
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Pat Handly and Amy Gallie