SUMMER INSTITUTES 2017
Required Preparation for
Problem, Project and Design-Based Teaching
London: 10-14 July 2017
- Complete the survey at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/djVDgl4dQ38zBXR03
This survey will be used for planning and grouping. Please complete it by 1 June.
- Complete the chart attached to the PDF above and be prepared to discuss on the first day of class.
In advance of your arrival, please read:
- Lamer, J. (2015). Project-Based Learning vs. Problem-Based Learning vs. X-BL. Retrieved from: http://www.edutopia.org/blog/pbl-vs-pbl-vs-xbl-john-larmer
Focus question: Reflect on the extent to which Project Based Learning, Problem Based Learning, or any of the other "X-BL's" that Larmer lists are in practice at your school. Be prepared to discuss.
- Vander Ark, T. & Lathram, B. (2016). Is it a Project or an Activity? Project-Based Learning and its Cousins. Retrieved from: http://gettingsmart.com/2016/06/project-activity-pbl-cousins/
Focus question: After reading through the descriptions of the 7 design variables in the article, how would you describe your approach to designing learning opportunities for students? If this approach is new to you, given what you have just read, what type of approach do you think you would take? (i.e. Would you have clearly defined outcomes or are you willing to let the outcome be more open-ended? Would you want to take lead on the design or would you want the students to take the lead? etc.)
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED):
Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
...your required online portal for everything related to your TTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use this access code to join your course group in Schoology.
Access Code: included in PDF above
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Richard Lehrer & Kristen MacConnell