SUMMER INSTITUTES 2018
Required Preparation for
Problem, Project and Design-Based Teaching
Rome: 9-13 July 2018
- Complete the survey at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/t7aTQyJWNf82cicy2
This survey will be used for planning and grouping. Please complete it by 1 June.
- Complete the attached chart and be prepared to discuss on the first day of class.
Larmer, John & Mergendoller John (2015). Gold Standard PBL: Essential Project Design Elements. Retrieved from: https://www.bie.org/blog/gold_standard_pbl_essential_project_design_elements
- Focus question: Gold Standard PBL is something we aspire to achieve in our project planning. Given your own understanding of PBL what components are you already embedding in your instruction? What is something new you want to try from this article?
Lahey, Jessica (2017). How Design Thinking Became a Buzzword at School. Retrieved from: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/01/how-design-thinking-became-a-buzzword-at-school/512150/
- Focus question: Why do you think both empathy and failure are considered to be important components of Design Thinking?
Rothstein, Dan & Santana, Luz (2014). The Right Questions. Retrieved from: http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/oct14/vol72/num02/The-Right-Questions.aspx
- Focus question: How might you use this technique with your students? What stumbling blocks, if any, do you think you might encounter when trying this approach in your classroom?
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED):
Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
...your required online portal for everything related to your TTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use this access code to join your course group in Schoology.
Access Code: included in PDF above
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Richard Lehrer & Kristen MacConnell