SUMMER INSTITUTES 2016
Required Preparation for
Personalizing Learning for your Students
Miami: 11-15 July 2016
SAMPLES FROM YOUR SCHOOL
• One unit of instruction from your grade level. This can be in any curricular area and should include the learnings taught including outcomes, standards, and benchmarks, assignments, activities and strategies used, and assessment methods/instruments.
• Learning outcomes/standards and benchmarks (grade level expectations) for this unit.
• A sample of work from a student who is currently experiencing academic difficulties within the classroom.
• A collection of data (i.e. anecdotal, numeric, rubrics, standardized assessment results) that you have used to make instructional decisions.
PROBLEM OR ISSUE
In preparation for the reflection sessions in the afternoon, please bring a short written description of each of the following (half a page):
• A problematic area related to personalizing learning in your situation or at your school
• A learner or a specific lesson for which you feel you need to provide greater personalized learning
In advance of your arrival, please read and reflect on the following articles, which will give you an overview of this course. (Available in the downloadable PDF here)
• Dweck, C. Mindsets & Equitable Education
• Tomlinson, C. A. (Oct. 2003). Deciding to Teach Them AllEducational Leadership, (61)2, pp. 6-11
• Powell, W. & Kusuma-Powell, O. (2011). Introduction, How to Teach Now: 5 Keys to Personalized Learning in the Global Classroom. Alexandria, Va.: ASCD
• Powell, W & Kusuma-Powell, O. Personalizing learning and teacher expectations
As you read the articles, please consider the following questions:
• Why personalize learning?
• What are some generic principles of personalizing learning?
• What personal and professional capacities can teachers develop to enhance personalized learning within their classes?
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
Please complete the pre-course Google survey here.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED)
- Your course materials are electronic. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
GET FAMILIAR WITH TC Connection
…your online portal for everything related to your course. You should have received an email with signup instructions and enrollment information for your course. Use that email as a guide to login and set up your account. If you have not already registered, you can do so here. Your access code for the course is immediately below. If you need help with this process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access Code: 6JV9P-S47WN
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Sue Easton & Jennifer Swinehart