TTC Frequently Asked Questions

Is the TTC certificate equivalent to certification from my own country or another country? 

In most countries teacher certification is done by some government body.  Requirements for certification vary by school and by country.  Even in the US, a university can only provide you with the course of study that would meet the requirements for certification.  Those requirements are then presented to a 'state' certification board.  So, the TTC certificate is not a substitute.  The certificate will be recognition of engagement in training designed specifically for teachers working in the international school setting.  While it is not typically the equivalent of a government-endorsed credential, the certification shows that a person has received additional training for working in the unique international school setting.  Many school heads are familiar with the TTC program and view it as a desirable certification.

One important thing to note is that all TTC courses may be taken for graduate credit.  These credits may be taken course by course or may me applied toward a master’s degree in multidisciplinary studies with Buffalo State SUNY in the USA. The only requirement is an undergraduate degree in any area, from most countries. With the right combination of courses, these can add up to state certification requirements in several countries. A potential state certificate is embedded in the TTC courses.

I’m a teacher and have a degree in something other than teaching. Can I still get my certificate of international teaching with the TTC?
Yes, if you complete six courses with the TTC, you will be awarded the TTC's Certificate of International School Teaching.

What are the benefits of a TTC certificate? How do I get the certificate? How long will it take?
Participants who successfully complete six (6) courses will receive the Certificate of International School Teaching. The certificate will be a recognition of engagement in training designed particularly for teachers working in the international school setting. Taking 2 courses per summer, the TTC's Certificate program can be completed in as early as 3 summers.

Is the certificate recognized as a teacher certification for a state in the US?
No. US teacher certification is granted only by each state and all states have different requirement. You will need to contact that state directly to inquire on the procedure to apply for U.S. teacher certification. With the exception of Virginia, you must be US citizen.

What is the difference between the TTC and the PTC curriculum courses?
The PTC curriculum course focuses primarily on the leadership of the curriculum process.  It provides the big picture, an overview of an effective written curriculum, but then deals with how we get it in place, monitored.

The TTC’s curriculum course focuses on the specific skills of writing or selecting a good learning standards, how to write a good unit plan, how to become more knowledgeable about what to include in a subject area or grade level curriculum, what actual documents are most helpful to teachers and how to write them. This will be a much needed addition to our international schools - actually having teachers who can write curriculum.
What type of background or degree is required to attend TTC courses? Do you accept people with degrees and work in fields other that education?
The TTC is dedicated to professional development for those currently teaching or are about to teach in international schools.  We do not have a specific program for those who are not yet in teaching, although it is possible to take a master degree in Multidisciplinary studies through our program.  The only requirement would be an undergraduate degree in any area. All TTC courses are oriented to the international setting and you would need to feel comfortable with that orientation in each course.
I teach at in the US public school system (or I’m retired from the US public school system). I am interested in teaching abroad. Do I qualify for one of your courses?
Our TTC course are geared towards those who are already working in international schools or who are about to enter their first job in one.  Occasionally we have had a teacher from the US or some other country who has only worked in their own national system.  So, yes, you could potentially come, although we do give priority to our member schools as well as those already in an international setting.
Can I become a certified tutor of ESL?
Participants taking TTC’s course, EAL for the Mainstream Classroom, will not become 'tutors' for it. Participants will be from international schools around the world and will practice the key teaching strategies that significantly add to learning for a wide range of ESL learners.
Can I obtain ESL/ESOL certification from TTC?
Certification requirements for ESOL vary from country to country and from state to state within the US.  So acquiring 'certification' will very much depend on where you intend to eventually use it.
All TTC courses, including the ESL course, may be optionally taken for 3 graduate credits with Buffalo State, SUNY. These credits can then in turn be applied to general teacher or ESL certification in just about any state in the US. The TTC also does its own Certificate of International Teaching, of which ESL is one of the available courses.  

Are TTC courses for teachers only? Can principals participate as well?
Yes, our courses are open to teachers and principals. Depending on your needs, please check both the PTC course descriptions and TTC course descriptions.

Do you offer courses online?  
The TTC does not offer online courses due to our enhanced onsite learning experience along with reflection and networking to form new relationships between colleagues in the international teaching arena.

Do you offer any tuition discounts for the courses?
The TTC offers a unique discount to faculty of schools who are members of the Principals Training Center (PTC).  Contact your school to inquire on their membership status, or click here to see if you're school is a PTC member.