Course Preparation and General Information for Participants
2017 Summer Institutes - TTC MIAMI
Course preparation materials are now available on this page by clicking the courses below.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST BRING A LAPTOP COMPUTER TO YOUR SESSION
Teaching Boys Summit
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR TTC MIAMI 2017
- TTC/TLI course registration is from 1:00pm-3:00pm on the first day of the course in the conference center area of the hotel. Check you welcome letter or front desk for details.
- Hotel check in begins at 4:00pm on the first day of the course. If you arrive prior to 4:00 and your room is not ready, the hotel will allow you to store your luggage until your hotel room is available. You will be given time between the end of the course and the opening dinner to check in to your hotel room. Please do not be late to the class because you are checking in to your room.
- The introductory session begins at 4:00pm on the first day of the course, followed by dinner at 6:30pm. Arrive in plenty of time to attend this first session. It is essential to the rest of the course.
- You must pay a security deposit to the hotel at check-in of either $100 secured by a personal credit card, a card you are authorized to use with a signed permission letter, or $50 in cash to cover incidentals. This deposit is refundable upon check out if not used.
What to Bring
- Completed preparation assignments
- Laptop computer and charger with wireless internet access; download course materials before you arrive
- A sweater or sweatshirt (all training rooms are air-conditioned)
- An umbrella
- Dress for the course is casual
- Check early to determine if you need a visa to travel to the USA . For visa information visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html.
- The PTC can provide a visa support letter and payment receipt should you require them. Contact the PTC at ThePTC@ThePTC.org or phone +1-508-790-1748
Your course materials are digital and will available for download via your class group on SCHOOLOGY (see below) prior to the start of your course. You will receive an email once the material has been posted. No print copies will be available. Free internet is available in your accommodation and meeting room; please keep only one device connected to the internet in meeting rooms at any one time.
Schoology - Course Portal Online
Prior to the start of your course, you will be invited by email into a 'class group' on the PTC's social network on SCHOOLOGY. This is a vital portal to your class where you will access class materials, connect with others in your class, interact with your instructor/s, and post files, pictures, and messages. Become familiar with your 'class group' on SCHOOLOGY prior to arrival at the course, as it will be the main access point for all things related to your course.
How to Get there
New! Uber and Lyft are now popular ride-sharing options in the Miami area. Download the 'apps' to your phone, connect your credit card, and catch a ride anywhere in minutes; often faster and cheaper than a taxi.
FROM MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 18.7 MILES TO THE TURNBERRY ISLE HOTEL
- AIRPORT SHUTTLE: Super Shuttle (http://www.supershuttle.com/?port=MIA) 1 800-258-3826. Reserve online or buy one-way or round-trip tickets on the airport lower level, outside the baggage claim area. Shuttles are blue vans. Cost: $30 per person. Please note that you may have to wait for more riders to join the shuttle and it may take longer to arrive at the Turnberry as the shuttle will stop at multiple hotels.
- BY TAXI: The fare is about $60 (plus tip; more in heavy traffic) from the airport to the hotel each way. (35 minute ride)
- BY CAR: The drive from Miami International Airport takes approximately 35 minutes.
Exit the airport and follow the signs to I-95 North, via route 112.
Take I-95 North to Ives Dairy Road, exit 16 (also called NE 203 Street).
Go East on Ives Dairy Road to US1 (also called Biscayne Blvd).
Turn right on Biscayne Blvd and immediately make first left at the traffic light onto Aventura Blvd (NE 199 Street).
Continue to the end and turn right on West Country Club Drive. The resort's main entrance is on your left.
Note: there is a $1.40 toll on expressway 112
FROM FT. LAUDERDALE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 11.6 MILES TO THE TURNBERRY ISLE HOTEL
- AIRPORT SHUTTLE: GO Airport Shuttle (http://www.go-airportshuttle.com/) +1-954-561-8888; +1-800-244-8252 (toll free). Book online or purchase tickets on site. Check in at the Transportation Podium located outside the baggage area on the lower level curbside. Vans are green and white. Fare: $21 per person for a shared ride to the Turnberry Hotel.
- BY TAXI: Find a taxi at the taxi podium outside the baggage claim area on the lower level of each terminal. Fare is about $46 to the Turnberry Hotel. It is about a 30 minute ride. Broward Airport Taxi Telephone:+1-954-456-1111
- BY CAR: The drive from the Fort Lauderdale Airport takes approximately 30 minutes.
Exit the Airport and follow signs to I-95 South.
Take I-95 South to Ives Dairy Road, exit 16 (also called NE 203 Street).
Go East on Ives Dairy Road to US1 (also called Biscayne Blvd).
Turn right on Biscayne Blvd and immediately make the first left at the traffic light onto Aventura Blvd (NE 199 Street).
Continue to the end and turn right on West Country Club Drive. The resort's main entrance is on your left.
During registration, participants have the option of purchasing shared or private accommodation at the Turnberry Isle Hotel at a special PTC rate. The shared accommodation option includes a double room with the registrant paired with another PTC participant (you can request a specific roommate at the time of registration) at a cost of US$415 for four nights. The private room option costs US$720 for four nights. Rooms at the PTC rate are offered on a space-available basis. Each extra person above two adults sharing a room will be charged an additional $50 per night. There is no charge for children up to and including the age of 18 years who share with their parents. Maximum occupancy per room is four. All rooms are non-smoking and offer free internet access, phones, plasma TV, iron and ironing board, coffee/tea maker, mini-refrigerator, in-room safe, air conditioning, balcony, hair dryer, and access to gym, three outdoor swimming pools, a three-mile jogging track and a private ocean club on the beach accessible via the hotel’s free shuttle. Golf and tennis facilities as well as spa services are offered at an additional charge.
Marriott Points: The Turnberry is a Marriott Hotel. Hotel policy does not allow registrants to get Marriott points for accommodation booked through the PTC. Registrants can earn points on any EXTRA NIGHTS purchased at the PTC rate before, after and in-between sessions.
Meals for all TTC?TLI participants include:
- Welcome buffet dinner on the first night of the course (attendance required).
- Two snack breaks daily on days 2, 3, and 4. One snack break on day 5.
All other meals are on your own. There are restaurants in the hotel as well as a Publix Supermarket offering deli-style sandwiches across the street and a couple of restaurants in the Aventura Mall, though the food court is closed, within walking distance and with complimentary hotel shuttle.
Additional meals for those who have selected the ‘with accommodation’ option:
- A full buffet breakfast for 4 days
- You will be given breakfast vouchers during registration on the first day of your course
|TTC Miami 4-night/5-day course|
|Day 1||Check-in/registration from 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Hotel check-in from 4:00pm
Course begins promptly at 4:00pm and ends at 6:00pm
Opening banquet at 6:30pm (attendance mandatory)
(The first afternoon session is an essential part of the course.
Please arrange your travel so that you can arrive at the hotel in plenty of time to attend the session)
|Days 2-4||8:00am-3:30pm Workshop Sessions
3:45pm-5:30pm Small Group Reflection Sessions
|Day 5||8:00am until no later than 1:00pm Workshop Sessions
Hotel checkout is at noon
Complete checkout prior to the start of class; you can store luggage with the hotel
Note: Participants must complete the full institute in order to receive a certificate of completion. Those who arrive late or depart early will not receive confirmation of participation. Please be sure to make your travel arrangements accordingly.
Training at the TTC is Intensive
While there are no evening sessions, you may have reading and/or short writing assignments to complete. There is little free time available during the course for off-site activities. Attendance of family members who are not attending the course is discouraged.
If you need a room either before, in between, or after any TTC/TLI course, submit an extra night request form directly to the hotel via fax. This form can be found on the PTC web site, www.ThePTC.org/already-registered. The PTC does not handle any additional reservations for days in Miami outside of the course dates. The hotel is holding a limited number of extra rooms, at the PTC rate of $168.37 single/double (includes $149 room rate plus 13% tax) per night. This rate does not include breakfast. The hotel will confirm availability within 3-5 business days of receipt of your form and send you a link to pay with a credit card. Please contact them EARLY as space is limited. The deadline to request rooms with the extra-night reservations form is 15 May 2017. (Please note that reservation requests received after 15 May 2017 may be charged a higher room rate if space is still available)
If you intend to take any course for graduate credit, please indicate this when you arrive on site. Graduate credit for many TTC/TLI courses is available from SUNY Buffalo State New York. Representatives from the university will be on site to answer any questions and assist you in completing the appropriate paperwork. You must sign up for graduate credit online during your course by using the graduate credit registration link on the right-hand sidebar of this page. PTC will collect the fee of $450 USD for 3 credits during the course and pass it on to the university. Those taking a course for credit will be required to complete an additional assignment. Please contact the university directly if you have any questions about matriculation, their degree programs, etc.
- Bourbon Steak: Bar open Mon-Fri from 5pm; Sat and Sun from 6pm; Serving dinner nightly 6-11pm
- Corsair Restaurant: Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Laguna Grill: Serving lunch daily from 10:30am-7pm
- Coffee Shop: (located in the Lobby Lounge) 6-11am
- Lobby Lounge: Open noon to midnight for drinks and snacks; social hour 5-7pm; live music Fri. and Sat. 8pm to midnight
- In-room dining is also available 24 hours
Other Nearby Restaurants
North of 203rd Street – Promenade Shops
- Pollo Tropical 20403 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura, FL 33180 (305) 935-9520 pollotropical.com Counter-serve chain for Caribbean grilled chicken & pork platters, sandwiches & more.
- Chuck E. Cheese 20335 Biscayne Blvd #1, Miami, FL 33180 (305) 936-0002 chuckecheese.com Kid-friendly chain known for its arcade games, pizza parties, play zones & mouse mascot.
- Sicilian Oven 20475 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura, FL 33180 (305) 682-1890 sicilianoven.com A relaxed pizzeria serving oven-fired pies, traditional pastas & homemade meatballs.
- Asaka Japanese Restaurant 20355 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33180 (305) 682-9331 asakasushi.com Familiar sushi rolls & basic teriyaki dishes are served up in this casual Japanese sushi house
- Juice and Java Wraps and soups NE 203rd St and 29th Court – 305 466-2233 juiceandjava.com Diners gather at this casual juice bar/cafe for wholesome meals prepared from morning to night.
At 199th and Biscayne
- Chili’s Grill and Bar 19905 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura, FL 33180 (305) 682-9898 chilis.com Family-friendly chain serving classic Tex-Mex & American fare in a Southwestern-style setting
Supermarkets with Delis
- Kosher Kingdom – Deli – 3017 Aventura Blvd 305-792-7988 kosherkingdom.com Established kosher market provides Israeli grocery items & snacks, plus a butcher & prepared fare
- Winn Dixie - Deli - 20417 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura, FL 33180 (305) 935-3949 winndixie.com
- Publix Grocery – Sandwiches, soups, prepared hot foods for takeout - Aventura Shopping Center, 2952 NE 199th St, Aventura, FL 33180 - (305) 931-4810 publix.com
In the Mall
- 59th & Lex Cafe – in Bloomingdales 2nd Floor (305) 792-1180 bloomingdales.com
- Bella Luna (Italian) – north of Sears (305) 792-9330 Straightforward Italian cooking served up in a modern, airy backdrop at the Aventura Mall.
- Five Guys Burger and Fries - NW of Macys (305) 466-5600 fiveguys.com Fast-food chain with made-to-order burgers, fries & hot dogs, plus free peanuts while you wait.
- Grand Lux Café (305) 932-9113 locations.grandluxcafe.com Upmarket chain offering a wide-ranging American menu in opulent surroundings
- Nordstrom Café Bistro – in Nordstroms - (305) 356-6900 shop.nordstrom.com
- Piacere News & Care – north of Bloomingdales (305) 705-1600 piacereaventura.com
- Rococoa Café Macarons – north of Sears (305) 705-0031 rococoacafe.com
- Sbarro – south of JC Penney (305) 466-2960 sbarro.com Italian fast-food chain offering thin-crust & stuffed pizza by the slice, plus pastas & salads
- The Cheesecake Factory – east of Sears (305) 792-9696 thecheesecakefactory.com American chain restaurant offering sizable portions from a vast menu including signature cheesecake
- The Grill on the Alley (California) (305) 466-7195 thegrill.com Classy restaurant boasting a striking art deco interior & a menu of American grill classics.
- Trattoria Rosalia's – outside entrance to the mall neat the movie theater. (305) 792-2006 Menu Tucked inside the Aventura Mall, this white-tablecloth Italian bistro fixes up pasta, pizza & more.
- Sushi Siam – directly across from the movie theater. (305) 392-8955 www.sushisiam.com A full sushi menu and lots of Thai specialties served in a regional chain with colorful decor.
Nearby Stores, Medical Facilities and Banks
- Aventura Mall: 19501 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura, (305) 935-1110: South Florida’s premier shopping destination, across the street from the Turnberry Hotel (hotel offers free shuttle) 10am-9:30pm Mon-Sat; Noon-8pm Sunday
- Publix Super Market: 18995 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura, FL Tel 1-305-931-3671 (0.17 miles) 7am-11pm (10pm on Sun.)
- Winn-Dixie: 20417 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL Tel 1-305-935-3949 (0.55 miles) 7am-midnight.
- ATM: There is an ATM machine in the hotel lobby. ATMs normally charge a fee of about $3; others at nearby banks
- Wells Fargo Bank: 2929 Aventura Blvd, Aventura, FL Tel 1-305-623-4370 (0.12 miles)
- Safra National Bank: 3050 Aventura Blvd, Aventura, FL Tel 1-305-682-3800 (0.16 miles)
- HSBC: 2950 Aventura Blvd, Aventura, FL Tel 1-800-975-4722 (0.17 miles)
- Foreign Exchange at Hotel’s front desk, Miami International Airport, Aventura Mall Concierge Desk
- Walgreens/pharmacy: 3007 Aventura Blvd, Aventura, FL Tel 1-305-936-2483 (0.13 miles) 24 hours
- CVS/pharmacy: 2974 Aventura Blvd, Miami, FL Tel 1-305-932-2802 (0.14 miles) 8am-10pm.
- Nearest hospital emergency room: Aventura Hospital & Medical Center, 20900 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL Tel 1-305- 682-7000 (0.67 miles) Open 24 hrs. Emergency service- Physicians on staff.
- Walk in Clinic Mount Sinai Aventura Emergency Room & Physician and Diagnostic Center, 2845 Aventura Boulevard, Aventura, Tel (305) 692-1000 (emergency room direct line), Tel (305) 692-1010 (main line to all other services)
- Fast Care Urgent Care, 20601 E Dixie Hwy #340, Aventura, FL Tel 1-786-923-4000 Open daily
For life threatening emergencies call 911
Popular Tourist Spots
- Aventura Mall and Restaurants
- Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall
- Gulfstream Park Mall and Restaurants
- Bayside Marketplace Miami Downtown
- Hollywood Beach Boardwalk and Beaches
- South Beach Lincoln Road Mall
- South Beach Ocean Drive
- Calle Ocho Little Havana
- Wynwood Arts District Miami
- Design District Miami
Hotel Business Center Services
- Internet kiosks (set rates)
- Complimentary printing of your boarding passes
- Photocopying, faxing, and the printing from USB drives with rates provided upon your arrival
- Open M-F 8am-5pm, Sat and Sun 8am-12pm
Hotel parking is $32 per overnight stay.
Course Cancellation Policy (per course)
- Before 1 May 2017: $500 of total cost per course is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- After 1 May 2017: $500 plus half of remaining course fee (per course) is NON-REFUNDABLE
Accommodation Cancellation Policy (per block of accommodation booked through PTC)
- $65 cancellation fee to cancel a shared booking.
- $100 cancellation fee to cancel a private booking.
- After 1 May 2017, non-refundable/ no cancellations.
Note: All refundable fees will be held as CREDITS for the following year unless other arrangements have been made with the PTC.
If you have any questions or need any other assistance, contact the PTC office - Phone: +1 508 790-1748+1 508 790-1748 Fax: +1 508 232-6006 Email: Registrations@ThePTC.org Address: 110 Breeds Hill Rd, Unit 2, Hyannis, MA 02601 USA
Photographs and Videos
Please be advised that photographs and videos will be taken at the TC 2016 Summer Sessions for use on the PTC website and in the press, PTC marketing materials, and all other PTC publications. By participating in a TC 2016 Summer Session, you consent to the PTC photographing and using your image and likeness. The PTC reserves the right to use any photograph/video taken at TC 2016 Summer Sessions, without the expressed written permission of those included within the photograph/video. The PTC may use the photograph/video in publications or other media material produced, used or contracted by the PTC including but not limited to: brochures, invitations, books, newspapers, magazines, television, websites, etc.