Course Preparation and General Information for Participants
2018 PTC Summer Institutes ROME
Course preparation materials are now available on this page by clicking the courses below.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST BRING A LAPTOP COMPUTER TO YOUR SESSION
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR PTC ROME 2018
Click for PDF printable version
Watch an informational video for registrants
FOR THOSE STAYING IN THE HOTEL
- Upon arrival immediately go to the hotel reception desk. Your details will be processed (ID, passport and credit card or cash deposit of 150€ for incidentals). A room will be allocated, but you will not receive your room key. Reception desk personnel can store your bags in their security area
- 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm: Return to the reception desk to receive your key; your room should be available.
NOTE: For each extra person (12 years and up) staying with you in your PRIVATE ROOM, the hotel will charge you an extra 12€ per night at the front desk (max 3 people per room).
FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS
- 1:00pm - 3:00pm: follow signs to PTC course registration to pick up your name badge and other course-related material. Bring your laptop so coordinators can ensure you have downloaded your course book.
- 4:00 pm: Course begins. During check-in, you will receive a welcome letter telling you which MEETING ROOM to go to for your course. Arrive in plenty of time to attend this first session. It is essential to the rest of the week
What to Bring
- All pre-readings and assignments that you receive from the PTC office.
- A laptop computer and European adaptor for charging it: A LAPTOP IS REQUIRED FOR ALL COURSES
- An umbrella and a sweater or sweatshirt (training rooms are air-conditioned).
- Any items required to make your stay more comfortable in the hotel room.
- Gym clothes if you wish to use recreational facilities.
Your course materials are digital and will available for download via your class group on Schoology (see below) prior to the start of your course. You will receive an email once the material has been posted. No print copies will be available. Internet is free in the meeting rooms, but please keep only ONE device connected to the internet at any one time.
- Check early to determine if you need a visa to travel to Italy. For visa information visit: http://vistoperitalia.esteri.it/home/en
- The PTC can provide a visa support letter and payment receipt should you require them. Contact the PTC at ThePTC@ThePTC.org or phone +1-508-790-1748
Prior to the start of your course, you will receive an email inviting you into a 'class group' on the PTC's social network, SCHOOLOGY. This is a vital portal to your class where you will access class materials, connect with others in your class, interact with your instructor/s, and post files, pictures, and messages. Become familiar with your 'class group' on SCHOOLOGY prior to arrival at the course, as it will be the main access point for all things related to your course.
Barceló Aran Mantegna
Via Andrea Mantegna, 130
T +39 06 98 95 21
How To Get There
Barceló Aran Mantegna is in the financial district of Rome, about 7km south of central Rome. Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/bq7Z9udPMgH2. Train and bus options are available. If you take a train from the airport, you will need to transfer to a bus once in central Rome. Allow approximately one and a half hours of travel from Rome Fiumicino Airport (FCO) to the hotel (approximately 30km depending on route and traffic) or an hour from Rome Ciampino Airport to the hotel (approximately 14km depending on route and traffic).
Please note: All transit can be paid for with a paper ticket, but you can also buy an èRoma tourist card for reuse and convenience (7€ for a day pass up to 24€ for a 7-day pass). Please see http://www.atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=228&i=14&r=2875 for more information. For more information about public transit options, please see http://www.rome.info/public-transport/ and https://www.rome2rio.com/.
- Bus: Taking the bus is the most inexpensive route between the airport and the hotel. You will first need to get on the T.A.M. - Roma Termini direct route bus from the airport. This airport transit bus runs every 75 minutes. You will ride it for 16 minutes and disembark. From there, you can walk a short distance to the Odescalchi bus stop on Via Giovanni Giolitti and wait for the 717 bus towards Tor Marancia/Arcadia. You will ride this bus for 14 stops and get off at the Tor Marancia/Arcadia stop. A short walk south along the Viale Tor Marancia and you will arrive at the hotel!
- Uber: Uber rides from the airport directly to the hotel will cost around 50€.
- Taxi: You can take a taxi directly from the airport for around 45€-60€. The trip will take approximately 20 minutes depending on traffic and route. The following taxi providers service the airport:
- Samarcanda +39 06 5551
- Taxi Aventino +39 06 574 3636
- Radiotaxi 3570 +39 06 3570
- Asso Taxi +39 339 33 33 414
- Bus/Train: Taking the bus is the most inexpensive route between the airport and the hotel. You will first need to get on the FL6 Roma Termini direct route train from the airport. You will ride it one stop and disembark at the Stazione Ostiense stop. From there, you can walk a short distance to the Benzoni/Pigafetta bus stop on Via Girolamo Benzoni and wait for the 716 bus towards Ballarin or the 30 bus towards Laurentina. You will ride this bus for 10 stops and get off at the Colombo/Rufino stop. A short walk south along the Viale Tor Marancia and you will arrive at the hotel!
- Uber: Uber rides from the airport directly to the hotel will cost around 35€.
- Taxi: You can take a taxi directly from the airport for around 28€-35€. The trip will take approximately 20 minutes depending on traffic and route. The following taxi providers service the airport:
- Samarcanda +39 06 5551
- Taxi Aventino +39 06 574 3636
- Radiotaxi 3570 +39 06 3570
- Asso Taxi +39 339 33 33 414
TRAVEL BETWEEN BARCELÓ ARAN MANTEGNA AND CENTRAL ROME
The quickest way to travel into Rome is to take a hotel shuttle, a 20-minute local bus 714 for 2€ (14 stops to Termini).
Visit http://www.atac.roma.it/ for bus route information.
All participants who have selected ‘with accommodation’ will be housed at Barceló Aran Mantegna. Depending on what type of accommodation you purchased, you will be housed in either a double room (with a roommate) or a private room. Check-in time is 2pm. Checkout is before noon. The hotel is located in EUR-Garbatella, Rome's business district and is very close to the city's new exhibition center, the Nuove Fiera di Roma. The hotel features 323 modern rooms equipped with free Wi-Fi, a 40-inch TV, air conditioning, an in-room safe, and a complimentary mobile phone with data and international calling for use during your stay. The hotel has two restaurants, a lobby bar, small gym, shuttle service, and laundry service.
Meals for all PTC participants include:
- Welcome buffet dinner on the first night of the course
- Closing dinner the night before the last day of the course. The banquet dinners are required attendance.
- Five lunches at the hotel (on days 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6)
- Two snack breaks daily (on days 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6) and one on day 7.
Additional meals for those who have selected the ‘with accommodation’ option:
- Six breakfasts at the hotel (on days 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7)
All other meals are on your own. There are several restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance, on Addington Road, including:
- Tuodi Viale Tor Marancia 50-54, +39 06 512 3841 - grocery store
- Il Supermercato Bio Viale del Caravaggio 77 - health food grocery store
- La Mucca Pazza Via Paolo Veronese 42, +39 06 513 4430 - traditional Italian fare
- La Briciola Via dei Georgofili 125, +39 06 511 0907 - pizza and pasta
- Wok Restaurant Viale del Caravaggio 3/13a, +39 06 513 3424 - Chinese and Japanese restaurant
- Pizza Rustica Mantegna Via Andrea Mantegna 28, +39 06 512 7103 - cozy pizza place
|PTC Rome 6-night/7-day course|
|Day 1||Check-in/registration from 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Hotel check-in from 2:00pm
Course begins promptly at 4:00pm
Opening banquet at 6:30pm (attendance mandatory)
(The first afternoon session is an essential part of the course.
Please arrange your travel so that you can arrive at the hotel in plenty of time to attend the session)
|Days 2-6||8:00am-3:30pm Workshop Sessions
3:45pm-5:30pm Small Group Reflections Sessions
Closing banquet in the evening of day 6 (attendance mandatory)
|Day 7||Course ends at approximately 1:00pm
Hotel checkout is at 11:00am
Complete checkout prior to the start of class; you can store luggage with the hotel
Note: Participants must complete the full institute in order to receive a certificate of completion. Those who arrive late or depart early will not receive confirmation of participation. Please be sure to make your travel arrangements accordingly.
Training at the PTC is Intensive
While there are no evening sessions, you may have reading and/or short writing assignments to complete. There is no free time available during the course for off-site activities. Attendance of family members who are not attending the course is discouraged.
If you need a room either before, after, or for the nights in between sessions if you are taking two courses, book the nights directly with Barceló Aran Mantegna, using the special PTC 'Extra Nights Form.' Call or fax the hotel at T +39 06 98 95 21. (Attn: PTC Bookings - Reservation Manager). Single (private) rooms are available for the group rate of 100€/night inclusive of VAT and breakfast. Double-shared rooms are available at the group rate of 112€/night inclusive of VAT and breakfast. All extra nights room are subject to a 6€/night sity tax. Rooms are on a space available basis only. The hotel will require a credit card at the time of the reservation and at the front desk. Note: If you are booking extra nights with a credit card you will NOT be bringing to Italy, fill out the portion of the Hotel Extra Nights Form called “Third Party Payment Form,” fax or email it with your reservation, and take it with you to Italy.
If you intend to take any course for graduate credit, please indicate this when you arrive on site. Graduate credit is available from Lehigh University and The College of New Jersey. Representatives from the universities will be on site to answer any questions and assist you in completing the appropriate paperwork. You must sign up for graduate credit online during your course at www.ThePTC.org. PTC will collect the fee of US$450 for credits during the course and pass it on to the university. Those taking a course for credit will be required to complete an additional assignment. Please contact the university directly if you have any questions about matriculation, their degree programs, etc.
Medical Assistance and Pharmacies
- One Day Medical Center Via Attilio Ambrosini 114, +39 06 4521 2038
- Farmacie Coli Via Andrea Mantegna 42, +39 06 514 1463 - pharmacy with defibrillator on site
Course Cancellation Policy (per course)
- Before 1 May 2018: $500 of total cost per course is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- After 1 May 2018: $500 plus half of remaining course fee (per course) is NON-REFUNDABLE
Accommodation Cancellation Policy (per block of accommodation booked through PTC)
- $65 cancellation fee to cancel a shared booking.
- $100 cancellation fee to cancel a private booking.
- After 1 May 2018, non-refundable/ no cancellations.
Note: All refundable fees will be held as CREDITS for the following year unless other arrangements have been made with the PTC.
If you have any questions or need any other assistance, contact the PTC office: Phone: +1 508 790-1748+1 508 790-1748 Fax: +1 508 232-6006 Email: Registrations@ThePTC.org Address: 110 Breeds Hill Rd, Unit 2, Hyannis, MA 02601 USA
Photographs and Videos
Please be advised that photographs and videos will be taken at the TC 2018 Summer Sessions for use on the PTC website and in the press, PTC marketing materials, and all other PTC publications. By participating in a TC 2018 Summer Session, you consent to the PTC photographing and using your image and likeness. The PTC reserves the right to use any photograph/video taken at TC 2018 Summer Sessions, without the expressed written permission of those included within the photograph/video. The PTC may use the photograph/video in publications or other media material produced, used or contracted by the PTC including but not limited to: brochures, invitations, books, newspapers, magazines, television, websites, etc.