Course Preparation and General Information for Participants
2014 Summer Institutes - PTC LONDON
Course preparation materials can be accessed via the links below.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST BRING A LAPTOP COMPUTER TO YOUR SESSION
Click for PDF printable version
Watch an informational video for registrants (coming soon)
FOR THOSE STAYING IN THE HOTEL
Upon arrival immediately go to the Selsdon Hotel reception desk. Your details will be processed (ID, passport and credit card or cash deposit of £150.00 for incidentals). A room will be allocated, but you will not receive your room key. Reception desk personnel can store your bags in their security area.
3:00 pm to 4:00 pm: Return to the reception desk to receive your key; your room should be available.
NOTE: For each extra person staying with you in your PRIVATE ROOM, the hotel will charge you an extra £15 per night at the front desk (that payment includes buffet breakfast for each extra person)
FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS
1:00pm - 3:00pm: PTC course registration in the hotel reception area to pick up your name badge and other course-related material. Bring your laptop so coordinators can ensure you have downloaded your course book.
4:00 pm: Course begins. During check-in, you will receive a welcome letter telling you which MEETING ROOM to go to for your course. Arrive in plenty of time to attend this first session. It is essential to the rest of the week
What to Bring
- All pre-readings and assignments that you receive from the PTC office.
- A laptop computer and UK adaptor for charging it: A LAPTOP IS NOW REQUIRED FOR ALL COURSES
- An umbrella and a sweater or sweatshirt (training rooms are air-conditioned).
- Any items required to make your stay more comfortable in the hotel room.
- Swim suit and gym clothes if you wish to use recreational facilities.
Your course materials are digital and will available for download via your class group on TC connection (see below) prior to the start of your course. You will receive an email once the material has been posted. No print copies will be available. Internet is free in the meeting rooms, but please keep only ONE device connected to the internet at any one time.
If you require a visa for travel to the USA or the UK, contact the PTC for procedures.
TC Connection - Course Portal Online
Prior to the start of your course, you will receive an email inviting you into a 'class group' on the PTC's social network, TC CONNECTION. This is a vital portal to your class where you will access class materials, connect with others in your class, interact with your instructor/s, and post files, pictures, and messages. Become familiar with your 'class group' on TC CONNECTION prior to arrival at the course, as it will be the main access point for all things related to your course. You can access TC Connection from the PTC web site (www.ThePTC.org)
Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club, 126 Addington Road, Sanderstead, South Croydon, Surrey, CR2 8YA UK T+44 (0) 208 7683105 F +44 (0) 208 6573401 http://www.selsdonparkcroydon.co.uk/
How To Get There
Selsdon Park Hotel is located in the Village of Selsdon, about 3.5 miles south of Croydon and 13 miles from central London. Map Link: http://g.co/maps/8us8v . Tube, train and bus options require travel first to EAST CROYDON STATION. You must then arrange travel from the station to the hotel. Allow approximately two hours to travel from Heathrow to East Croydon Station (26-43 miles depending on route and traffic); and one hour from Gatwick to East Croydon Station (18 miles). From East Croydon Station; allow another half-hour to get from the station to the hotel (3.5 miles).
- Bus:Taking the bus is the most direct and inexpensive route between Heathrow and East Croydon Station. The direct bus runs four times an hour from 7-9am; two times an hour from 9am-7pm; and hourly from 7pm – midnight. From Heathrow Central Bus Station Take the Route Bus X26 from Stop: 20 towards Lunar House (CR0). It is about a 75 minute journey to East Croydon Station. Bus cost is £2.30 or Oyster card charge is £1.35. For a bus X26 route map visit http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/?r=x26. For a schedule of bus departure times visit http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/X26.htm.
- Tube/Train: Take Heathrow Express towards London Paddington Rail Station and get off at Paddington; walk to Paddington underground station and take Circle Line towards High Street Kensington and get off at Victoria Station; take Southern towards Ore Rail Station and get off at East Croydon. This option takes longer and is more expensive, as you will need to pay for Heathrow Express (£18) and underground and train (£5.30). You can plan your trip online at the Transport for London (www.tfl.gov.uk) website to find the best connections by tube, train and or/bus to East Croydon station and Selsdon Park Hotel. Go to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/; choose your starting point (for example, Heathrow) and your destination PLACE OF INTEREST (for example East Croydon Station or Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Course). The site will give you a selection of routes to choose from.
- National Express Coach/Train: National Express Coaches travel from Heathrow Airport to London Victoria (cost is £5-£7), where you can take a train to East Croydon Station. Visit http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx for trip planning and fares.
- Car Service or Taxi: See below
- Train: Taking the train is the most direct and least expensive route between Gatwick and East Croydon station. There are frequent trains on the SOUTHERN SERVICE. The trip is 15 minutes and costs £6-7. You can plan your train trip online at the National Rail web site at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
- Car Service or Taxi: See below
How to Get From East Croydon Station to Selsdon Park Hotel
Take a taxi (cost about £15), or take either Route Bus 64 from stop E2 towards New Addington/Salcot Crescent (get off on Old Farleigh Road – Stop L – and walk to the hotel going southwest on Addington Rd and then left toward high school and hotel entrance); or Route Bus T33 from stop E2 towards Addington Village interchange (get off Selsdon Library stop T at the side of the hotel and a shorter walk to the hotel). Bus cost is £2.30 or Oyster card charge is £1.35. Selsdon Park Hotel occasionally offers a free shuttle to and from East Croydon station. Contact the hotel for details at +44 (0) 208 7683105.
OTHER TRANPORT OPTIONS
- Arranged Car Service
London Airports Cars offers one way and round-trip service to and from South Croydon. From Heathrow: £57; From Gatwick £42; From Stansted: £77; from City Airport: £43, plus parking. Rates are good for up to 4 people and 2 bags per car. Additional bags at extra cost. Advanced booking required. Phone +44 (0) 208 590 6344 (in UK – 0 800 917 1402) or visit their web site: http://www.airportscars.com
- Transport by Taxi
London taxi details visit: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/taxisandminicabs/taxis/1140.aspx The online table shows typical fares and journey times based on distance for three types of tariff. Fares and journey times may be higher if there are delays or heavy traffic. Minimum fare of £2:40 at all times. The meter calculates the maximum fare based on time of day, distance travelled and time taken. The passenger will be expected to pay the full fare displayed on the meter at the end of the journey unless the driver and passenger agree on the final fare to be charged before the start of the journey. Drivers must accept any hiring up to 12 miles or any hiring up to one hour duration, if the destination is in Greater London; accept any hiring up to 20 miles if starting at Heathrow Airport. Fares for destinations outside Greater London may be negotiated between the passenger and driver before the journey. If no fare is agreed before the start of the journey then the maximum fare will be that shown on the meter at the end of the journey.
Download a taxi fare guide at: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/taxi-fares-guide.pdf
- Arriving by Car
Selsdon Park Hotel offers free parking to guests. For driving directions to the hotel, visit: http://www.selsdonparkcroydon.co.uk/location/
TRAVEL BETWEEN SELSDON PARK HOTEL AND LONDON
The quickest way to travel into London is to take a hotel shuttle, a 20-minute local bus 64 (Bus stops at Selsdon Park Road) or T33 (bus stops at Old Farleigh Road) for £2.30 or a taxi (about £15) to East Croydon Station. There is regular train service to Victoria Station on Southern Railway for £5. From there you can connect via tube to anywhere in London.
Visit http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses for bus route information.
All participants who have selected ‘with accommodation’ will be housed at Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club. Depending on what type of accommodation you purchased, you will be housed in either a double room (with a roommate) or a private room. Check-in time is 3pm. Checkout is at noon. The hotel is a historic building dating back to the ninth century, located on 205 acres of parkland (including a world class golf course) just south of Croydon and 13 miles from central London. It is accessible by train and bus through the East Croydon train station which has connections to Gatwick and Heathrow airports, and regular train service to London. En-suite rooms include toiletries, tea/coffee tray, TV, phone, hairdryer, and trouser press. Wireless internet access is also available for an additional fee. The facility has indoor/outdoor pools, a gym, tennis courts, a spa, a solarium, a bar and a restaurant.
Meals for all PTC participants include:
- Welcome buffet dinner on the first night of the course, and closing dinner the night before the last day of the course. The banquet dinners are required attendance.
- Five lunches at the hotel (on days 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6)
- Two coffee breaks each full day
Additional meals for those who have selected the ‘with accommodation’ option:
- Six breakfasts at the hotel (on days 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7)
All other meals are on your own. There are several restaurants within walking distance, on Addington Road, including:
- Thai Express, 143 Addington Road 0208 651 2777
- Royal Tandoori, 226 Addington Road 0208 651 3500
- Village Fish & Chips, 3c Selsdon Parade, Addington Road 0208 651 9800
- Sainsbury's Selsdon, 130 Addington Road 0208 657 9397 – has pharmacy, groceries and prepared food.
A much wider selection of restaurants can be found near the East Croydon station.
- Register for your class between 1:00-3:00 pm in hotel lobby (The first afternoon session is an essential part of the course. Please arrange your travel so that you can arrive at the hotel in plenty of time to attend this session.)
- Hotel check in process upon arrival at hotel
- Room Key collection at 3:00-4:00pm
- Courses start at 4:00 pm
- Welcome banquet in the evening- required attendance
- 8:00am-3:30pm Workshop Sessions
- 3:45pm-5:30pm Reflection Sessions
- Training is intensive. Little free time is available during the course for off-site activities.
- Classes end at approximately 1:00pm.
- Selsdon Hotel requires check out on the last day of your stay by noon. A luggage storage facility is available. Plan to check out before class. Late checkout is subject to an extra nights charge. The final morning is an essential part of the course. Please arrange your travel so that you can be present through this final session.
Note: Participants must complete the full institute in order to receive a certificate of completion. Those who arrive late or depart early will not receive confirmation of participation. Please be sure to make your travel arrangements accordingly.
Training at the PTC is Intensive
While there are no evening sessions, you may have reading and/or short writing assignments to complete. There is no free time available during the course for off-site activities. Attendance of family members who are not attending the course is discouraged.
Hotel Extra Nights
If you need a room either before, after, or for the nights in between sessions if you are taking two courses, book the nights directly with Selsdon Park Hotel, using the special PTC ‘extra nights form’ (available to download at www.ThePTC.org). Call or fax the Selsdon Hotel at T +44 (0) 208 7683105 F +44 (0) 208 6573401 or email email@example.com (Attn: PTC Bookings - Reservation Manager. Single (private) rooms are available for the group rate of £100/night inclusive of VAT and breakfast. Double-shared rooms are available at the group rate of £115/night inclusive of VAT and breakfast. Rooms are on a space available basis only. The hotel will require a credit card at the time of the reservation and at the front desk. Note: If you are booking extra nights with a credit card you will NOT be bringing to London, fill out the portion of the Hotel Extra Nights Form called “Third Party Payment Form,” fax or email it with your reservation, and take it with you to London.
If you intend to take any course for graduate credit, please indicate this when you arrive on site. Graduate credit is available from Lehigh University and The College of New Jersey. Representatives from the universities will be on site to answer any questions and assist you in completing the appropriate paperwork. You must sign up for graduate credit online during your course at www.ThePTC.org. PTC will collect the fee of $450 USD for credits during the course and pass it on to the university. Those taking a course for credit will be required to complete an additional assignment. Please contact the university directly if you have any questions about matriculation, their degree programs, etc. Click here for more information on graduate credit.
Map Links For Nearby Services
- Sainsbury's Supermarket (130 Addington Road 0208 657 9397 – has pharmacy, groceries and prepared food)
- Selsdon Stationers
- Lloyd's Pharmacy
- Day Lewis Pharmacy (150 Addington Road 0208 657 6172)
- Thai Express (143 Addington Road 0208 651 2777)
- Royal Tandoori (226 Addington Road 0208 651 3500)
- Village Fish and Chips (3c Selsdon Parade, Addington Road, 0208 651 9800)
- The Farley Road Surgery, (Physicians, Emergency Services - 53 Farley Road 020 8651 1222 http://www.farleymedical.co.uk/)
- East Croydon Train Station (George Street at Billinton Hill Croydon)
- Croydon Health Services (Health Services, Hospital, Minor Injuries): 020 8401 3000 http://www.croydonhealthservices.nhs.uk/
- Healthcare NHS Trust (Health Care, Emergency Services) 0845 4647 Gen Inquires.020 8302 2678 http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
- The Farley Road Medical Practice (Physicians, Emergency Services) 020 8651 1222 http://www.farleymedical.co.uk/
- Lloyds Pharmacy 97 Addington Road 020 8657 1292 http://www.lloydspharmacy.com
Cancellation Policy (per course)
- Before 1 May 2014: $500 of total cost per course is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- After 1 May 2014: $500 plus half of remaining course fee (per course) is NON-REFUNDABLE.
Note: All refundable fees will be held as CREDITS for the following year unless other arrangements have been made with the PTC.
If you have any questions or need any other assistance, contact the PTC office: Phone: +1 508 790-1748 Fax: +1 508 232-6006 Email: Registrations@ThePTC.org Address: 110 Breeds Hill Road Unit 2, Hyannis, MA 02601 USA
Selsdon Park Hotel Meeting Room Map