Course Preparation and General Information for Participants
2017 Summer Institutes - CTC LONDON
Course preparation materials will be available in May 2017 on this page by clicking the courses below.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST BRING A LAPTOP COMPUTER TO YOUR SESSION
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR CTC LONDON 2017
Click for PDF printable version
Watch an informational video for registrants
FOR THOSE STAYING IN THE HOTEL
- Upon arrival immediately go to the hotel reception desk. Your details will be processed (ID, passport and credit card or cash deposit of £100.00 for incidentals). A room will be allocated, but you will not receive your room key. Reception desk personnel can store your bags in their security area
- 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm: Return to the reception desk to receive your key; your room should be available.
NOTE: For each extra person staying with you in your PRIVATE ROOM, the hotel will charge you an extra £15 per night at the front desk (that payment includes buffet breakfast for each extra person)
FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS
- 1:00pm - 3:00pm: CTC course registration in the hotel reception area to pick up your name badge and other course-related material. Bring your laptop so coordinators can ensure you have downloaded your course book.
- 4:00 pm: Course begins. During check-in, you will receive a welcome letter telling you which MEETING ROOM to go to for your course. Arrive in plenty of time to attend this first session. It is essential to the rest of the week
What to Bring
- All pre-readings and assignments that you receive from the PTC office.
- A laptop computer & charger and UK adaptor for charging it: A LAPTOP IS REQUIRED FOR ALL COURSES
- An umbrella and a sweater or sweatshirt (training rooms are air-conditioned).
- Any items required to make your stay more comfortable in the hotel room.
- Swim suit and gym clothes if you wish to use recreational facilities.
Your course materials are digital and will available for download via your class group on Schoology (see below) prior to the start of your course. You will receive an email once the material has been posted. No print copies will be available. Internet is free in the meeting rooms, but please keep only ONE device connected to the internet at any one time.
Schoology - Course Portal Online`
Prior to the start of your course, you will be invited by email into a 'class group' on the PTC's social network on SCHOOLOGY. This is a vital portal to your class where you will access class materials, connect with others in your class, interact with your instructor/s, and post files, pictures, and messages. Become familiar with your 'class group' on SCHOOLOGY prior to arrival at the course, as it will be the main access point for all things related to your course. You can access SCHOOLOGY from the PTC web site.
How To Get There
De Vere Selsdon Estate is located in the Village of Selsdon, about 3.5 miles south of Croydon and 13 miles from central London. Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/ecnedRvPjGv. Tube, train and bus options require travel first to EAST CROYDON STATION. You must then arrange travel from the station to the hotel. Allow approximately two hours to travel from Heathrow to East Croydon Station (26-43 miles depending on route and traffic); and one hour from Gatwick to East Croydon Station (18 miles). From East Croydon Station; allow another half-hour to get from the station to the hotel (3.5 miles).
- Bus: Taking the bus is the most direct and inexpensive route between Heathrow and East Croydon Station. The direct bus runs four times an hour from 7-9am; two times an hour from 9am-7pm; and hourly from 7pm – midnight. From Heathrow Central Bus Station take the Route Bus X26 from ‘Stop 20’ towards Lunar House (CR0). It is about a 75 minute journey to East Croydon Station. Bus cost is £1.50. Cash is not accepted. Use either an Oyster card or a credit/debit card with a chip. For bus information visit https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/. For a schedule of bus departure times visit http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/X26.htm.
- Tube/Train:The fastest train route is taking the Heathrow Express towards London Paddington Rail Station and get off at Paddington; walk to Paddington underground station and take Circle Line towards High Street Kensington and get off at Victoria Station; take Southern towards Brighton Rail Station and get off at East Croydon. Cost is (£21.50) for Heathrow Express and (£5.20 to £7.60) for the underground and train. To save money, you can take the underground/train all the way from the airport to East Croydon station (£5.20 to £7.60). You can plan your trip online at the Transport for London (www.tfl.gov.uk) website to find the best connections by tube, train and or/bus to East Croydon station and Selsdon Park Hotel.
- Car Service or Taxi: See below
- Train: Taking the train is the most direct and least expensive route between Gatwick and East Croydon station. There are frequent trains on the SOUTHERN SERVICE. The trip is 15 to 20 minutes and costs £5-6. You can plan your train trip online at the National Rail web site athttp://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
- Car Service or Taxi: See below
How to Get From East Croydon Station to De Vere Selsdon Estate
- Take a taxi (cost about £15), or take either Route Bus 64 or Bus 433 from the station to the hotel.
- To get to the station bus stop (E2): exit the front of the train station, and you will see it across the street and to the left.
- Option 1: Take Bus 433 towards New Addington/Salcot Crescent; get off at the Hawthorne Crescent stop on Old Farleigh Rd, cross the street, and go right (back up the hill the bus just drove down), then take the first entryway on your left which is the unmarked side gate to the hotel. (If you reach the high school, you have gone too far).
- Option 2: Take Bus 64 toward New Addington and get off at stop L on Addington Rd (this is the Selsdon high street shops); Cross the street after getting off the bus and go southwest on Addington Rd, cross the intersection which has a Pharmacy on your left (across the intersection is a Sainburys market); continue walking on the footpath past Sainburys until you reach a sign marking the hotel entry.
- Bus cost is £1.50. Cash is not accepted. Use an Oyster card or credit/debit card with a chip. The hotel occasionally offers a free shuttle to and from East Croydon station. Contact the hotel for details at +44 (0) 208 657 8811.
OTHER TRANPORT OPTIONS
- Arranged Car Service
London Airports Cars offers one way and round-trip service to and from South Croydon. From Heathrow: £55-60; From Gatwick £47; From Stansted: £74; from City Airport: £49, plus parking. Rates are good for up to 4 people and 2 bags per car. Additional bags at extra cost. Advanced booking required. Phone +44 (0) 208 554 2550 (in UK – 0 800 917 1402); book by text at +44 (0) 796 180 3732; or visit their web site:http://www.airportscars.com
- Transport by Taxi
London taxi details visit: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/taxisandminicabs/taxis/1140.aspx The online table shows typical fares and journey times based on distance for three types of tariff. Fares and journey times may be higher if there are delays or heavy traffic. There is a minimum fare of £2.40 at all times. The passenger will be expected to pay the full fare displayed on the meter at the end of the journey unless the driver and passenger agree on the final fare to be charged before the start of the journey. Once a taxi journey reaches six miles, the taxi fare increases at a higher rate. Fares for destinations outside Greater London may be negotiated between the passenger and driver before the journey. If no fare is agreed before the start of the journey then the maximum fare will be that shown on the meter at the end of the journey. Find up-to-date taxi fare information at: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares
- Arriving by Car
De Vere Selsdon Estate offers free parking to guests. For driving directions to the hotel, visit: https://www.phcompany.com/de-vere/selsdon-estate/contact-us
TRAVEL BETWEEN DE VERE SELSDON ESTATE AND LONDON
The quickest way to travel into London is to take a hotel shuttle, a 20-minute local bus 64 (Bus stops at Selsdon Park Road) or T33 (bus stops at Old Farleigh Road) for £1.50 (credit card or oyster card required) or a taxi (about £15) to East Croydon Station. There is regular train service to Victoria Station on Southern Railway for £3.10 to £4.90. From there you can connect via tube to anywhere in London.
Visit http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses for bus route information.
All participants who have selected ‘with accommodation’ will be housed at De Vere Selsdon Estate. Depending on what type of accommodation you purchased, you will be housed in either a double room (with a roommate) or a private room. Check-in time is 3pm. Checkout is at 11am. The hotel is a historic building dating back to the ninth century, located on 205 acres of parkland (including a world class golf course) just south of Croydon and 13 miles from central London. It is accessible by train and bus through the East Croydon train station which has connections to Gatwick and Heathrow airports, and regular train service to London. En-suite rooms include toiletries, tea/coffee tray, TV, phone, hairdryer, trouser press and complimentary wireless internet. The facility has an indoor pool, a gym, tennis courts, a spa, a solarium, a bar and a restaurant.
Meals for all CTC participants include:
- Welcome buffet dinner on the first night of the course. The banquet dinners are required attendance.
- Three lunches at the hotel (on days 2, 3, and 4)
- Two snack breaks daily (on days 2, 3, and 4) and one on day 5.
Additional meals for those who have selected the ‘with accommodation’ option:
- Four breakfasts at the hotel (on days 2, 3, 4, 5)
All other meals are on your own. There are several restaurants within walking distance, on Addington Road, including:
- Las Fuentes (Spanish) 143 Addington Road 0208 651 2777
- Royal Tandoori 226 Addington Road 0208 651 3500
- Village Fish and Chips 3c Selsdon Parade, Addington Road, 0208 651 9800
- The Sir Julian Huxley 152-154 Addington Rd, South Croydon, Croydon CR2 8LB 0208 657 9457
- Sainsbury's Supermarket 30 Addington Road 0208 657 9397 – has pharmacy, groceries and prepared food.
A much wider selection of restaurants can be found near the East Croydon station.
|CTC London 4-night/5-day course|
|Day 1||Check-in/registration from 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Hotel check-in from 3:00pm
Course begins promptly at 4:00pm
Opening banquet at 6:30pm (attendance mandatory)
(The first afternoon session is an essential part of the course.
Please arrange your travel so that you can arrive at the hotel in plenty of time to attend the session)
|Days 2-4||8:00am-3:30pm Workshop Sessions
3:45pm-5:30pm Small Group Reflections Sessions
|Day 5||Course ends at approximately 1:00pm
Hotel checkout is at 11:00am
Complete checkout prior to the start of class; you can store luggage with the hotel
Note: Participants must complete the full institute in order to receive a certificate of completion. Those who arrive late or depart early will not receive confirmation of participation. Please be sure to make your travel arrangements accordingly.
Training at the CTC is Intensive
While there are no evening sessions, you may have reading and/or short writing assignments to complete. There is no free time available during the course for off-site activities. Attendance of family members who are not attending the course is discouraged.
Hotel Extra Nights
If you need a room either before, after, or for the nights in between sessions if you are taking two courses, book the nights directly with De Vere Selsdon Estate, using the special CTC 'Extra Nights Form.' Call or fax the hotel at T +44 (0) 208 657 8811 F +44 (0) 208 6573401. (Attn: PTC Bookings - Reservation Manager). Single (private) rooms are available for the group rate of £100/night inclusive of VAT and breakfast. Double-shared rooms are available at the group rate of £115/night inclusive of VAT and breakfast. Rooms are on a space available basis only. The hotel will require a credit card at the time of the reservation and at the front desk. Note: If you are booking extra nights with a credit card you will NOT be bringing to London, fill out the portion of the Hotel Extra Nights Form called “Third Party Payment Form,” fax or email it with your reservation, and take it with you to London
Medical Assistance - Stationers - Train Station
- Croydon Health Services Health Services, Hospital, Minor Injuries 530 London Rd Croydon CR7 7YE Ph 020 8401 3000 http://www.croydonhealthservices.nhs.uk/
- The Farley Road Surgery Physicians, Emergency Services 52 Farley Rd. Ph 020 8651 1222 http://www.farleymedical.co.uk/
- Lloyd's Pharmacy 97 Addington Road Ph 020 8657 1292 http://www.lloydspharmacy.com
- Day Lewis Pharmacy 150 Addington Road Ph 0208 657 6172 daylewis.co.uk
- Selsdon Stationers 186 Addington Road Ph 0208 657 2875
- East Croydon Train Station George Street at Billinton Hill Croydon http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/ecr/details.html
Course Cancellation Policy (per course)
- Before 1 May 2017: $500 of total cost per course is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- After 1 May 2017: $500 plus half of remaining course fee (per course) is NON-REFUNDABLE.
Accommodation Cancellation Policy (per block of accommodation booked through PTC)
- $65 cancellation fee to cancel a shared booking.
- $100 cancellation fee to cancel a private booking.
- After 1 May 2017, non-refundable/ no cancellations.
Note: All refundable fees will be held as CREDITS for the following year unless other arrangements have been made with the PTC.
If you have any questions or need any other assistance, contact the PTC office - Phone: +1 508 790-1748+1 508 790-1748 Fax: +1 508 232-6006 Email: Registrations@ThePTC.org Address: 110 Breeds Hill Rd, Unit 2, Hyannis, MA 02601 USA
Photographs and Videos
Please be advised that photographs and videos will be taken at the TC 2017 Summer Sessions for use on the PTC website and in the press, PTC marketing materials, and all other PTC publications. By participating in a TC 2017 Summer Session, you consent to the PTC photographing and using your image and likeness. The PTC reserves the right to use any photograph/video taken at TC 2017 Summer Sessions, without the expressed written permission of those included within the photograph/video. The PTC may use the photograph/video in publications or other media material produced, used or contracted by the PTC including but not limited to: brochures, invitations, books, newspapers, magazines, television, websites, etc.