The Effective Principal: From Theory to Practice - PTC 401
Not offered in 2017
*This is an advanced course. You should have completed at least 2 previous courses from categories 1-3.
The principalship moment-to-moment challenges along with both short and long-term critical leadership opportunities do not present themselves, as courses often do, in neat categories. This course provides participants with the practical application and integration of the knowledge and skills taught in the Essential Skills courses. Through the experience of serving as a principal of a hypothetical international school and related case studies, simulations and role-play activities, participants will face the day to day realities of principalship and:
- Analyze data and set related goals
- Develop the skills required to build leadership capacity in others
- Practice recruiting teachers
- Practice leading teams, and managing conflict and crises
- Develop pro-active plans for curricular improvement
- Focus on time management, communication, decision making, and the management of scarce resources
- Practice self-analysis and reflective leadership
In order to access course materials, participants are required to bring a laptop computer with wireless internet capability and appropriate adapters to this course.