SUMMER INSTITUTES 2017
Required Preparation for
Miami: 13-19 July 2017
IN ADVANCE OF YOUR ARRIVAL, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BOOK:
The following book will be made available in PDF version by the PTC office:
The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
By George Couros (Author)
(The book will be emailed to you around 15 May. Please monitor your email inbox during that time.)
As you read the book, consider these questions:
- As a leader in your school, what are the key aspects of facilitating authentic change to create an innovative mindset based on the different anecdotes shared in the book, and how do you connect with these in your own leadership philosophy?
- How are the roles of technology, social media and digital environments highlighted in this book? What aspects of the examples of technology integration with an innovative mindset shared in this book do you see a connection to your own practice and beliefs?
- As a school leader, how you will craft instructional programs and environments that best prepare your students to have innovative mindsets?
EXPLORE & CONNECT
Throughout our course, we will utilize a number of Social Media tools and applications to disseminate information, share resources, discuss, collaborate, publish and experience the nature of the new technology landscape. In advance of the course, please create accounts on the following sites (if you are not already a member):
http://www.twitter.com We will be using hashtag #PTCTech
...your required online portal for everything related to your PTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course. Your course has a group page and a course page on Schoology. You must join both to access all of your course materials.
Use the access codes from the PDF to join your course page and group page in Schoology.
Participants are required to have a google account either a Gmail account or a school Google Apps for Education Gmail account.
http://www.google.com/accounts (GMAIL EMAIL ACCOUNT)
We will be working extensively through a Google Site and Google Drive environment throughout the course, and after the course you will have access to everything until December 1, 2017.
If you wish, please feel free to join our PTC Technology Leadership Facebook page. Join other colleagues from around the globe who have taken the course and are sharing links, resources and conversations: www.facebook.com/groups/217006628337791
Connect with your trainers, John Mikton and Patrick Greene, on Twitter, and LinkedIn...
John Mikton Patrick Greene
Twitter: @jmikton Twitter: @pgreensoup
- LAPTOP (REQUIRED): Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Many of the resources and activities throughout the week will require the use of a wireless-enabled laptop or digital device. Make and model is not important, as long as you are familiar with the machine and it can access the Internet.
- Concerns & Challenges: Identify three significant challenges that your school faces in creating a 21st century learning environment. These challenges will be central in our discussions throughout the course.
- Acceptable Use Policy: Bring a copy of your school’s Acceptable Use Policy (sometimes called Acceptable Operating Procedures) that outlines protocols and expectations for student use of technology.
- Vignettes: In preparation for the small group sessions in the afternoon please bring a written (one page) case study or vignette, dealing with a problem or situation you have confronted during your professional practice. This problem does not necessarily need to have any connection to technology.
- Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Patrick Greene and John Mikton