SUMMER INSTITUTES 2018
Required Preparation for
Creating an Effective School
Miami 4-10 July 2018
Rome 26 June-2 July 2018
Rome 12-18 July 2018
- Bring a brief description of one possible improvement at your school which you feel would positively impact student learning, including: why you think it is a significant issue, what evidence you have to support your thinking, and what actions leaders might take to ensure that this improvement is implemented.
- Read and become familiar with the culminating task template (viewable in the linked Prep assignment above) where you will plan for that improvement.
- Be familiar with and be able to access core documents from your school, such as mission and vision.
The following reading provides a foundation for this course: How the World’s Most improved School Systems Keep Getting Better by McKinsey and Co. Though it references North American schools, please read with an international school lens.
Follow this link to access the reading: https://goo.gl/s23utr
- Read the Foreword as well as the Introduction, and Overview, pages 5-22.
- As you are reading these pages, think about the question “How does a good school become a great school?”
- Download the reading to the computer you will bring with you to the course; we will discuss it on Day 2.
AN ISSUE OR PROBLEM
In preparation for the small group sessions in the afternoon, please bring a written (one page) scenario, dealing with a problem or situation you have confronted during your professional practice.
…a short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED):
- Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
...your required online portal for everything related to your PTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use the access code from the PDF for your course dates and location to join your course group in Schoology.
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Miami: Julie Ryan & Barry Dequanne
Rome: Lee Fertig & Simon Gillespie (1st offering) and Sue Easton & James Dalziel (2nd offering)