SUMMER INSTITUTES 2018
Required Preparation for
University Counseling in the International School
Miami: 3-7 July 2018
Download the pdf version of the assignment
In preparation for University Counseling in the International School, I ask you to complete the following tasks. This preparation will be the foundation of the course, and extremely helpful in my planning.
Please bring copies of these Counseling documents (in boht digital and printed format):
- Your School Profile – put in Schoology in separate folders (see below)
- Sample Transcripts – complete with grades and course descriptions (15 copies)
- Three Letters of Recommendation you or a counselor in your school have written. One should be very good, one should be one you had a hard time with, and the third can be any. We will peer review all of the above and give you feedback
Read, evaluate and come prepared to discuss the admissions models linked here or in the downloadable PDF:
- Santa Clara University
- Stanford University
- U.C. Comprehensive Review: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/comprehensive_review_facts.pdf
- Inside UK Universities & Country Profile U.K.
- Inside Canadian Admission
Before you arrive, reflect on some responses to these questions:
- What is the role of a university counselor in the application process:
- to teach the process to students?
- to make admission offers happen?
- to develop and implement policy?
- to guide and advise students who must then do "the work"?
- Which role does your school expect, or which have you embraced? Having read the admission models attached; what issues or concerns were raised? What do you need to better understand? And, what policies at your high school might need adjusting?
- Pretend for a moment that you are the Dean of Admissions at a selective university – what qualities in a high school student would you value? Why? And, how would you measure these qualities?
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED)
- Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly