SUMMER INSTITUTES 2017
Required Preparation for
University Counseling in the International School
Miami: 4-8 July 2017
In preparation for University Counseling in the International School, I ask you to complete the following tasks. This preparation will be the foundation of the course, and extremely helpful in my planning.
Please bring copies of these Counseling documents (in boht digital and printed format):
- Your School Profile – put in Schoology in separate folders (see below)
- Sample Transcripts – complete with grades and course descriptions (15 copies)
- Three Letters of Recommendation you or a counselor in your school have written. One should be very good, one should be one you had a hard time with, and the third can be any. We will peer review all of the above and give you feedback
- Program of Study/Course Catalog
- Any policies or stated practices your school has regarding university counseling (discipline, disclosure, add/drop)
Read, evaluate and come prepared to discuss the admissions models linked here or in the downloadable PDF:
- Santa Clara University
- Stanford University
- U.C. Comprehensive Review: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/comprehensive_review_facts.pdf
- Inside UK Universities & Country Profile U.K.
- Inside Canadian Admission
Before you arrive, reflect on some responses to these questions:
- What is the role of a university counselor in the application process? Are they teachers? Or, is it their responsibility to “make admission offers” happen? Maybe a counselor is an administrator; there to develop and implement policy? Or, is the counselor a manager; there to guide and advise the students who then must do the “work?” Come to class ready to discuss how you interpret the job of the college counselor at an international school. And, if you are a counselor – which model have you embraced?
- Having read the admission models attached; what issues or concerns were raised? What do you need to better understand? And, what policies at your high school might need adjusting?
- Pretend for a moment that you are the Dean of Admissions at a selective university – what qualities in a high school student would you value? Why? And, how would you measure these qualities?
Watch a short video to prepare for your course.
BRING A LAPTOP (REQUIRED)
- Your course materials are digital. Hard copies of the materials will not be available on site. Bring a laptop computer with appropriate adapters and wireless internet capability. Click here for more information about iPads and tablets. Chromebook users can use the free Kami extension to annotate.
- Download Adobe Reader DC now in order to be able to access your materials properly.
...your required online portal for everything related to your TTC course, including all necessary course materials which will be available approximately 10 days before the start of your course.
Use this access code to join your course group in Schoology.
Access Code: included in the PDF above
See you in a few weeks!